10 January 2007

Capistrano show_deploy_tasks

Ok - Ruby on Rails is way cool. And now I'm trying out a deployment for the first time using Capistrano.

The problem I'm finding with all of this is that I'm chasing a moving target and the documentation can't even keep up. Here are a couple of examples:

The documentation told me that I could get a list of deployment tasks and their descriptions by typing "rake show_deploy_tasks". Wrong:

$ rake show_deploy_tasks
rake aborted!
Don't know how to build task 'show_deploy_tasks'


The new command is "cap show_tasks".

Also, the "rake remote:setup" command is deprecated. Use "cap setup" instead.

Really, it's pretty crazy. I'm using the latest Agile book and reading the Cap manual from the Rails site.

2 comments:

richard said...

Your post helped me get Cap up and running - thanks. I'm here in Austin also. Are you part of the Austin on Rails group?

harold said...

I'm glad my post helped someone. I remember spending some time trying to figure out what was going on and wasn't finding much online to help. I am a member of Austin on Rails, although I haven't been to the past couple of meetings...